Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:43:55 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mail server DNS configuration questions

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> Clients in the churches private network cannot send mail using this
> server, though they can receive mail from it (POP).  The church has a
> private network, PN1, and the mail server sits at a church members house
> because he has a static IP address; let's call that PN2.  The router at
> his house is setup to forward traffic over port 25, and the POP port, to
> this server.  Also, just to further clarify, the Internet separates
> these two Private Networks.  However, this may not be entirely true as I
> think about it because at both locations, the ISP is CableOne using
> cable broadband.  So, though technically part of the Internet, the
> traffic shouldn't leave the CableOne domain.  Also, of interest, is that
> another of our pastors uses CableOne at home and is unable to send
> e-mail using the churches server from home.  However, from a coffee shop
> in town, that our pastors frequent, they are able to send mail.  It is
> my understanding that this coffee shop does not use CableOne.
>
> So, just to make sure everyone's got it, the mail server sits in PN2.
> While diagnosing this, I connect to the server (using Putty) from a
> machine in PN1, using either a mail client or telnet I'm unable to make
> a connection to the mail server over port 25.  Using tcpdump during this
> putty session I do not even see the SYN packets for the start of the
> connection from the machines in PN1.  This is only when connecting to
> port 25.  Obviously, I can connect to the server because I'm using
> putty.  Also, I can see the SYN packets for the start of the connection
> when this same machine in PN1 attempts to connect to port 80.  The
> problem seems to be when trying to connect over port 25.  For some
> reason, the packets aren't being delivered to that address
> (72.24.34.252).  This happens if I try to telnet to
> mail.whitneybaptist.org or telnet to 72.24.34.252 on port 25.  The
> packets aren't being delivered.  They're being sent somewhere else, or
> lost in digital purgatory.
>
> Now, from home (my home) let's call this PN3, I can send/receive mail
> using the church e-mail server.  I, however, don't use CableOne.  Are
> there routers that route traffic based on port number?  It's almost as
> if traffic, that originates within the CableOne domain and travels
> through, but not outside, the CableOne domain, doesn't get routed to the
> correct address when it's destined for port 25.

So a common thread is that traffic on the ISP's net isn't going
out via yourserver.com:25 --- would seem to indicate port blocking,
which is quite common for port 25.  Tried 587 or some weird alternate?

Kevin Kinsey

--
If the odds are a million to one against something
occurring, chances are 50-50 it will.