Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 97 22:17 CST
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

[-]Unfortunately, &D3 is not a standard.   EIA 602, the AT command set
[-]standard (as opposed to a vendors reference modem standard) includes only
[-]&D0, &D1, and &D2.  Many major brands including Sportsters, either do
[-]not support &D3 or don't store it in EEPROM, making it useless.

[0]I have a Sportster, the manual is open in front of me, and that's NOT
[0]true, it DOES have &D3.  If its specified on dialup, then it will work on
[0]disconnect (with or without eeprom storage).

Yes, the current/recent Sportsters do accept &D3, BUT Sportsters do NOT
save the &D3 setting in EEPROM.  Try it:
	ATZ
	AT&D3
	ATI4	(verify that &D3 is there)
	AT&W	(save)
	ATZ	(reset)
	ATI4	(inspect)
It's now &D2.

USR argues (badly) that this value doesn't need to be saved
permanently.  USR says that if you wanted the action &D3 provides, you
should add it to your dialing string on each dial-out.  Of course, this
ignores dial-ins.

My current company has been complaining about this and many other
Sportster bugs for over a year.  We own over 3,000 of them.

I personally believe USR ran out of bits in EEPROM and this is one
of many settings that don't "stick" over resets and power cycles.

I have heard that VERY OLD Sportsters don't have &D3 at all,
but I haven't found one that old in the revisions I have access to.

Couriers apparently have sufficient EEPROM to correctly hold &D3.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
					    |"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983