Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:45:14 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:56:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am running freebsd4.4 on my intel pentium. I have an
> integrated AGP sound card. Has anybody gotten sound working
> on their freebsd system? Does it mean i have to recompile
> my kernel to make sound work?

You will have to either load the snd_pcm.ko module or re-build the
kernel with "device pcm". But, if your system uses an Intel 82801*
sound chip (once pcm is loaded, you should see this in the dmesg), you
will have to upgrade to 4.5 as the support for this chip in 4.4 was
broken. It played everything too fast and trying to play a live stream
too fast really does not work.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)