Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:14:05 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        juha@saarinen.org, n@nectar.cc, drosih@rpi.edu, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed Solution To Recent "firewall_enable" Thread. [PleaseRead]

All:  I have read this thread (okay, stream -- no, roaring river) with interest
and a little amusement at the occasional ad hominem.  I have some observations:

1)	It is natural for people to suggest that things be changed rather
	than invest the requisite time to understand how they work.  I
	have found myself doing this from time to time.

2)	Many things are counter-intuitive until they're mastered.  Sometimes
	this is a fault of documentation rather than function.  And sometimes
	the explanation for design choices has a historical rather than
	a theoretical foundation.

3)	Changes that break existing behavior need an extremely compelling
	justification.  I would place the arguments I've read in favor
	of change in the category of feature enhancement.  Therefore,
	if additional function is to be provided, it must not change
	the semantics of existing "knobs."

Those are my thoughts on the matter.