Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:28:32 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: AAAARRRgghhh-h-h. [[tooo tired]]

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 09:05:39AM -0700, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:05:39 -0700
> From: Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: AAAARRRgghhh-h-h. [[tooo tired]]
>
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
>

> > been here the whole day since around 09.00.  one question since the
> > guy who did my kvm switch used too-short cables----they were ~4ft
> > instead of 6.  my question:  Do any of you know if I can just buy
> > kvm cables... of say 6ft?  it's a trendnet TK-409K.
> >

> > #2:: I have no idea how a USB port could burn out, but that's what
> > the tech found.  anybody care to reply to either point??
> >
> > tx very tmuch
> >
> > --
> >  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service
> > Unix
> >               Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.

> Hi Gary,
>
> I don't recall a burn-out issue like that with a USB port, except maybe on
> a notebook one time.. but I've recently seen some mobo mfgs advertising
> 'ESD resistant USB ports'. So I suppose that's been an issue...
>
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

	tx for the datapoint.   a friend in Dallas thinks the USB
	ports are good and that it's a cabling isssue.  the tech is
	self-taught.  that might be as good a way of learning about
	computer hardware... .

	I may not have to buy a new/refurb computer.  the tech is
	thinking of coming back tomorrow {sunday} to make sure about
	the cables.  he inserted the USB plugs *by feel*.  blew me
	away.