Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2003 02:02:02 +0200
From:      Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@uni-duisburg.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From 4.7 to 4.8

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003, kitsune wrote:

> I personally like sysinstall upgrade option myself. I used it to
> upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 just a few hours ago. What I did was goto
> options change the release name from 4.7-release to 4.8-release and
> then used the upgrade option. The cool thing about this is no boot
> floppies or any thing are needed.

Even if it works - using the old system's sysinstall is not the suggested way
for binary upgrades!!

	Important: These notes assume that you are using the version of
	sysinstall(8) supplied with the version of FreeBSD to which you
	intend to upgrade. [...] The most commonly made mistake in this
	regard is the use of an old copy of sysinstall(8) from an
	existing installation to upgrade to a newer version of FreeBSD.
	This is not recommended.

Boot floppies or any thing are needed!!

Ciao, Mark