Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 10:12:50 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgresql Autovacuum how?

Nick Withers írta:
> I've created a .pgpass file in /root (which is read only by
> root) containing the password for the pgsql user. A quick
> Google on "pgpass" turned up this content from
> http://pgsqld.active-venture.com/libpq-files.html:

This is a broken link (for me at least).
> _____
>
> (...)
>
> This file should have the format:
>
> hostname:port:database:username:password
>
> Any of these may be a literal name, or *, which matches
> anything. The first match will be used so put more specific
> entries first. Entries with : or \ should be escaped with \.
>
> The permissions on .pgpass must disallow any access to world or
> group; achieve this by the command chmod 0600 .pgaccess. If the
> permissions are less strict than this, the file will be
> ignored.

Thank you, I'll try this.
> _____
>

>> This is my pg_hba.conf file:
>>
>> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
>> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
>> local   all         all                               ident     sameuser
>> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
>> hostssl all         all         0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0       md5
>>
>> The autovacuum script was packaged for FreeBSD, so I assume this is a
>> FreeBSD specific thing. My question is: why ident/sameuser not working
>> here? How can I enable auto vacuums without storing the password in the
>> periodic/daily/502.pgsql  script?
>>

> I'm not familiar with the "sameuser" directive, presumably this
> prohibits a system user from logging in as a user in the
> database with a different name?
Ident sameuser means that the user will be identified with the IDENT
protocol. Then if the unix user name matches a postgresql user name, the
user can connect without providing the password.
Without giving 'sameuser', the unix and postgresql user names will be
matched through pg_ident.conf. (I think I'm offtopic here, sorry)

Best,

   Laci