Date:      17 Feb 1998 11:31:17 +0100
From:      Benedikt Stockebrand <benedikt@devnull.ruhr.de>
To:        "Victor Ponomarev" <vick@unet.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I need a strategy for making my STABLE installation stable

"Victor Ponomarev" <vick@unet.ru> writes:

> Hardware: [...] Adaptec 2940 Ultra (BIOS 1997),
>
> [snip]
>
> 2) I took a old AHA 2940 Ultra from my friend (BIOS 1996) .
>     Well! All is fine. But I'm not sure that trasfer rate was 20 Mbps on
> SCSI bus.

Could it be that the old one was a 2940 U but the new one a 2940 AU?
IIRC the OpenBSD people had some nasty surprises with that --- the old
2940 U works, but the 2940 AU uses a "simplified" chipset and didn't
work with their 2940 U-based drivers.

> The SCSI terminators is fine (AHA is in automatic mode).

In case of doubt, use real terminators.

    Ben

--
Ben(edikt)? Stockebrand    Runaway ping.de Admin---Never Ever Trust Old Friends
My name and email address are not to be added to any list used for advertising