Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:54:10 -0500
From:      Robin Damm <robin@damm.ca>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flaky NFS over Via Rhine based LAN cards

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 02:26:21PM +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm experiencing very flaky (=unusable) NFS over two Via Rhine based
> DLink cards connected through a cross over cable. It is either a card
> or a driver issue as NFS works perfectly over the public interfaces of
> the boxes (Realtek connected to a 3com Switch) so I'd be interested to
> hear about other people's experience with that card/driver and NFS. If
> it's really due to the Rhine chips and can't be fixed, I'll throw the
> cards out, of course, but before I do that, I'd like to know whether
> there might be a software solution to this...

Same problem here when using nfs or large ftp xfers. I suspect it is
a driver issue as the cards work fine under Win32. As a workaround I
mount nfs with the "-r=1024" switch, see "man mount_nfs". This is
stable enough for running "make installworld" via nfs and the like
here.

As a solution I placed the vr card on the public interface
(less throughput) with the intention of junking the vr cards later.

Do tell if you come up with something more elegant.

--
Robin Damm <robin@damm.ca>