Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:14:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        billh@finsco.com (Bill Hamilton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x11 port

Bill Hamilton wrote,
> I downloaded the ports.tgz file from 2.2.7.
> I just want to install x.
> I used Winblows to get it (just lazy and like WS_FTP)
> Now, ports.tgz resides in C:/zipwork.
> I un-tarred it, and now have something like C:/zipwork/ports/x11
> with all of the /ports/x11/* directories under that.
> Would this be an appropriate way to proceed? :
> tar -cf - -C /dos/zipwork/ports/x11 . | tar xpf - -C /usr/ports/x11
> cd /usr/ports/x11
> make install

Not if you are trying, as you say, 'to install X.'

I would personally recommend that you use /stand/sysinstall to
'upgrade existing system' and add X how you'd like in the following
menus. I recommend this mainly because that's how I've added X to my
installs. Never through ports.

Adding X via the ports /should/ work, I believe. However, you do not
need to make the _entire_ /usr/ports/x11/ directory (I mean,
'xantfarm' for example is not a must-install). You'll need to go
to XFree86, pick a window manager, etc. You may require some of the
libraries for other ports to compile, but the ports mechanism should
build those as needed.

Sorry I don't have a recipe for adding X through ports, but that's my
$0.02.