Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:37:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        farrenkopf@mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD linux apps can not access mounted netware volumes

In article <29370000.1077528903@sub00261.sub.uni-goettingen.de> you write:
>Hello,
>
>(I hope this is the appropriate group, I posted the question already to
>"questions" and to some news groups.)
>
>I mount two NetWare shares within /etc/fstab at my FreeBSD desktop (using
>mount_nwfs) and I
>noticed in the past that linux applications like mulberry, acroread, etc.
>can not access
>these volumes. Instead they show an empty directory at the mount point and
>nothing below.
>Now I found that linux-mozilla-firebird (which is not my default browser)
>is also not
>able to access these shares, but it reports a permission problem:
>"You don't have the permissions necessary to view this directory"
>
>The permissions are set to 755 for all directories and to 644 for all
>files down the complete hierarchy. Owner and group are my local user:group.
>
>These are the lines from my /etc/fstab
>/SERVER:USER/user /home/sfarren/.NW/user nwfs rw,noauto,\
>-A=SERVER 0 0
>/SERVER:USER/data   /home/sfarren/.NW/data nwfs rw,noauto,\
>-A=SERVER 0 0
>
>My colleagues with Linux boxes use ncpmount and do not encounter any
>problems with the NetWare shares. All application which run FreeBSD native
>have full access to the mounted NetWare volumes

I could be wrong, but this sounds like you have empty directories
under /compat/linux/home/sfarren/.NW... (or under /usr/compat/linux,
depending on your system).  That would at least explain this behaviour,
because corresponding directories there are picked up before the real
ones by the linuxulator.  So the fix would be to just rmdir them...

 HTH,
	Juergen