Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 16:17:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        James Clifford <james.clifford@csom.net>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, "Alagiya, Sudarsanan" <Sudarsanan.Alagiya@anchorgaming.com>, "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SRC

On Tue, 23 May 2000, James Clifford wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what are the advantages of runlevels? I know
> that Linux has them, but I'd never noticed the lack of them in FreeBSD
> until you mentioned it.

A high-level and granular control over the services you're running is
something you don't miss until you've been exposed to it; unfortunately,
after that you (at least, I) do tend to notice it's not there.

The SRC stuff from AIX is a case in point; admittedly, however, there
it's a case of IBM wrapping something vaguely unix-flavoured around
their one true OS :-)

You might have a look at the page I was referred to recently when I
queried the lack of structured shutdown scripts to mirror the startup
ones; the feature list there reads pretty much like the service managers
from any unix you pay for.

jan

PS. Don't get me wrong; I'm not being intentionally belligerent or
knocking fbsd for the sake of it.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Unfortunately, I have a very good idea how fast my keys are moving.