Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:24:43 -0500
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        Andy Wodfer <wodfer@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to forward old root mails to an external email address?

--As of February 19, 2011 9:33:26 PM +0100, Andy Wodfer is alleged to have
said:

> 'm running FreeBSD 8.0 Release on this particular server and I have a
> rather large root mailbox under /var/mail/root.
>
> I have set up an alias under /etc/aliases for new emails, but I need to
> forward all the old emails in this mailbox to an external email address.
>
> How can I do that?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Easiest way I know of is to set up a procmail rule to forward everything to
the external address, then feed the old mailbox to procmail via formail.

===== .procmailrc:
:0
! new@example.com

====  Command line:
cat /var/mail/root | formail -s procmail

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.