Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:33:09 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Riaal Domingues <riaal@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, pk@nanoteq.com
Subject:   Re: Network connections keep dropping

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:18:21AM +0000, Riaal Domingues wrote:
> I have a strange problem and I hope you guys can help me.
>
> We have several 4.6-RELEASE boxes running SSH, after connected for a
> while (varies between 5 min. and an +-40) the connection dies. The SSH
> on the server only writes out the following message: "fatal: Write
> failed : permission denied". I looked in the SSH source code, and the
> only file that generates an error like that is
> /usr/src/crypto/openssh/packet.c. The permissions denied (errno set by
> system) error is generated in an attempt to write to the
> "connection_out" socket.

The typical reason for directly seeing denies when accessing sockets is
a deny by an ipfw rule.
Check your ipfw dynamic rules carefully - they might timeout because of
a configuration error.
It's also possible, but I'm not shure, that an mbuf/mbufcluster
shortage can produces such errors.
Well there are some other reasons too, but most of them don't apply to
your scenario or are unlikely.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de