Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:49:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

> > Is it worth it to write an identd for FreeBSD? With one sysctl added, it's
> > trivial to implement. If an identd would be desired, then should I make a
> > separate one, or rewrite the current inetd's internal identd shim? I
> > don't see a reason for pidentd when we could have an identd built in by
> > me fixing inetd up, and it would all take up less space.
>
> There is the question - what for? identd is of questionable use at best.
>
> The best use of identd I have seen is crypted cookies that would allow
> an attackee to identify an attacker in a non-privacy-invasive manner.
> In 3 years of running this at an ISP, I have never seen it used in anger.
>
> Under normal circumstances (${BIGNUM} Wintendo boxes running IRC
> clients), the info given is completely useless.

Just to add a counter-point here, I run an ISP that offers shell accounts.
We get idiot customers using IRC for all sorts of nasty things at times, and
identd is the only method I have for knowing who did it when I get
complaints.

However, pidentd is rather buggy of late, and tends to freak out a lot. If
we could have an 'official' identd, I'd like it. :)

Kevin