Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:42:53 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: does java needs linux base?

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

=20

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:52:23AM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
>=20
> Wasn't there a binary package?
>=20
> I'm sure I read that Sun had finally given in and let the project=20
> distribute one....

Only for the JDK 1.3.1 which has passed the compliance suite tests and
been licensed for distribution -- see
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

Unfortunately the 1.3.1 JDK isn't suitable for compiling the 1.4.2
JDK.  I've heard that the FreeBSD Java people have run the latest JDK
1.4.2 port through the compliance testing suite unofficially and they
reckon it would pass hands down.  Unfortunately, it takes money to get
the licensing sorted, and the project has to rely on donations in
order to afford that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20