Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:22:57 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Werner Lehmann <wernerleh@arcor.de>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: graphics/linux-f10-dri

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:00:12 +0100 Werner Lehmann wrote:

> as a casual FreeBSD-User und an enthusiastic Gamer I am especially
> concerned about how 3d-games run on FreeBSD. If I understand things
> right, most of the games are linux-ports, and rely on the opengl
> subsystem provided by the port graphics/linux-f10-dri when using
> linux-base-f10, which is MESA-Version 7.2.
> But for a while now the FreeBSD OpenGL subsystem has been Mesa 7.4.4,
> an recently can even be compiled to 7.6 using the flag
> "WITHOUT_NOUVEAU="yes".
> So if the port linux-f10-dri still is Mesa-Version 7.2, all
> linux-games will still be limited to that really old Mesa-version and
> not benefit from the newer Mesa-version in FreeBSD. Is that true?

> And if so, what work is being done to get graphics/linux-f10-dri on
> pair with the FreeBSD-OpenGL-Subsystem being 7.4 or 7.6? And sure 7.8
> will come to FreeBSD soon, too.

> Would you please give me a short reply and tell if you are looking
> into that matter?

If packages for Fedora 10 with Mesa 7.4/7.6 exist then please
give us a link and we'll see what can be done. If there are no
such packages then a big work to support, say, Fedora 12 ports
should be done (it's about 50 linux infrastructure ports).

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve