Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:15:58 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Banu Ozden <ozden@research.bell-labs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi target mode

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 04:00:28PM -0600, David Scheidt wrote:
>
> > > Generally speaking 'joining' machines into cluster(like) you want to
> > > use differential SCSI buses.
> >
> > Yes.  Of course, I think that you want to use differential SCSI for
> > everything.  Cableing is much easier, and much less fussy.  It costs more
> > though.
>
> And consumes a bit more power due to all the external diff xceiver chips.
> For in-cabinet single-ended or LVD works just fine.

http://www.scsipro.com
They make the Y-connectors. They also make
the retranslators that can increase the maximal
length of the cable dramatically (or at least
their web site says so - did not try it myself yet).

For the good and reasonably priced cables and
terminators I can recommend AESP (http://www.aesp.com ,
http://www.tla-group.com is the reseller I bought
from, had quite good experience).

Personally I think that Fibre Channel may be a
better choice for the clusters because of thinner
cables and longer maximal length. Though it's
more expensive.

-SB