Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:06:30 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Aaron Smith <aaron@veritas.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

>1) Since FreeBSD is not a democracy, we should all agree on technical
>terms to arrange this problem. There is this fs list that has almost no
>volume of use, so I guess we have seen little technical arguments.

Speaking of the relative inactivity on the filesystems list, I find it
ironic that we have not found a way to integrate Terry's work yet.  He
seems to be one of the few people that has a grasp of all the issues
involved, and has tried to fix some of them.  I seriously doubt that
Terry has anything but good intentions. From all the posts and email I
have seen from him, I'd have to say that he is fairly experienced
when it comes to filesystems and SMP, and has proposed some valuable
ideas.  It just dissapoints me to see these threads end up in Terry
bashing time and again.  I'd like to see this resolved as much as the
next person, but I'd also hate to see all of his work thrown away
because of some personal conflicts.  We really are all on the same
side here, and should not lost sight of that.

>2) I'm not a FS expert, but it's absolutely clear that the changes Terry
>proposes are innecesary. On the other hand if they work, as he claims,
>they could bring many advantages, especially in performance, and
>although I haven't seen tests on our filesystems, there is no reason to
>believe they are particulary efficient with respect to other OS's.

I don't think that anyone would dispute that the current VFS framework
is somewhat flawed, and I for one would love to see this fixed.  It would
be great to see quotas seperated out from the fs's, and other layers
such as encryption/compression/acls and such.  As I understand it, some of
this is not currently possible, and no one else is really working on it.

Anyways, I really hope no one reads anything hostile into this mail--I'm
just another user who would like to see FreeBSD improved..

--Chris Csanady