Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:01:01 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more VMware quirks/questions - scsi CD-ROM -> emulated ATAPI

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:46:48 -0700, John Reynolds wrote:

> [ cc'ing to -scsi because somebody there might have some insight into the
> behavior I'm seeing from VMware ]
>
> OK, I have nailed down some behavior that I saw last night after having success
> in installing the VMware tools, etc.
>
> I am currently using a SCSI CD-ROM (cd0) as the /dev/cdrom device (link to
> /dev/cd0c) for VMware's emulated ATAPI CD-ROM.
>
> Everything works wonderfully if I "power on" the virtual machine with a disc
> sitting in the CD-ROM. However, if the tray is empty then VMware comes back
> with a dialog box saying
>
>   CDROM: Unable to open '/dev/cdrom'
>   Device not configured
>
>   Error connecting the CDROM device.
>
>            (another dialog box)
>
>   Device ide1:0 will start disconnected
>
> This smacks of the "troubles" one might have when installing from SCSI CD-ROM
> if you don't boot with a disc in the drive (sysinstall can't find the drive
> when you choose CDROM as the media type if there wasn't a disc in the drive
> during boot).

Yes, it's pretty much the same problem -- sysinstall thinks the device
isn't there if it can't open it.  In fact, the problem is just that you
don't have a disk in it.

> Is this something we can work-around in our vmmon module or is this an
> unavoidable CAM thing? Do other people using SCSI CD-ROM's notice the same
> thing?

I'm sure other people have the same problem, since the cd(4) driver acts
the same way for any drive when there is no media present.

> For now, I will happily insert any ol' disc into the machine as I power up the
> VM, but just wondering how this can be fixed in software ultimately (or if it's
> just a "VMware thing + scsi" thing and we're stuck with it).

There may be a way to do something different, but you'd have to look into
the 'vmmon' module to figure it out.

What is the vmmon module, anyway?  Where is the source?  (I don't know much
about vmware.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry