Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:43:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nguyen Manh Tho <manhtho@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Please explain more clearly about converting malling system

This is the resend message, including the subjects.
Please forgive me if you receive dupplicated copy.

Dear all FreeBSD experts,

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, when answering about converting
mailling system from Turbo Linux to Free BSD
reserving all accounts and data, Mr. Gianmarco
Giovannelli wrote:

>As I said these are the step necessary (as I think)
to >convert a linux box

----> begin <----
:
>vipw

>to make the database happy :-)

>Beware to not overlap the first accounts on the
>FreeBSD side:
>Everything has uin under 1000 is better to leave
>unchanged...

>Check /etc/group of the Linux system and apply the
>users group to the FreeBSD group file.
>ADD ONLY the users group(s), not the system ones.

>When you have finished this step look at the
>/etc/aliases in the linux system and copy the custom
>ones (the one pertinents to the users only) to
FreeBSD >aliases file (in /etc too), then do a:
>newaliases

>The last step is to copy all the old mail which is in
>the Linux system (but
>I don't know where it is) on the /var/mail/ in the
>FreeBSD box.

>I used this little perl scripts to assign the
>user:group to the files.
>Run it from FreeBSD /var/mail/ after you have copied
>the mailbox from the
>linux system.

>----> cut here <---
>#!/usr/bin/perl
>foreach $file (<*>)
>{
>($uid)=(getpwnam($file))[2];
>($grp)=(getpwnam($file))[3];
>chown($uid,$grp,$file);
>};
>--->   end   <----

>I read all the file passwd but I could not find the
>script like this. Morever, I do not know what does
the >word uin means, maybe it's is Italian. I also
send >mail to Mr.Gianmarco Giovannelli but maybe he is
out >of home so I have no response.

If anyone know this script, please send it to me
because it's very urgent.If could, please explain for
me more clearly and step by step the procedure to
convert mailling system from Turbo Linux to Free BSD
as more detail as possible because I am not
experienced both Free BSD and Turbo Linux.

Thank you very much ahead for all of your help. Please
answering to me through both 2 address:
nmtho@dit.hcmut.edu.vn
manhtho@yahoo.com

I am looking forward your response.