Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:05:22 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project Management Software

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:49:23 AM, Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>

>>Not nearly as featureful (read: bloated, cough, cough) as MS
>>Project, but if all you want is simple Gantt charts and work
>>breakdowns then try out Imendio Planner for gnome, which can be
>>found under ports/deskutils.

Agreed, but I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king
of infinite space. I like small, tightly focused apps. =)

> I have used MS Project in the past, and found it to be a rather useful
> tool. The learning curve was not as extensive as I had first feared. I
> certainly did not find it to be over burdened by an excessive number of
> unused features. In fact, I rather appreciated the fact that they were
> available if I should ever require them.

To each, their own. My sense was the opposite though. The installer
is over 130 MB and there are many features I'd never go near, mainly
MS Project Server (and if I recall, Exchange) integration stuff. In
other words, a bunch of proprietary stuff without much use to anyone
outside of a largish Wincentric environment.

> In any case, check out: http://www.openworkbench.org.

Someone else in the thread mentioned that one. I was disappointed to
see that it is not truly OSS (some components remain proprietary,
and actually playing with the code requires Visual Studio, according
to their FAQ).

Also, it is for Windows only, and while I have to use Windows every
day I quite frequently wish that I did not, so I'm not about to add
yet another Windows-only tool to the bag.

Anyone know any real OSS (preferably cross platform) app that does
what gnome planner does, only better?

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348