Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 19:47:30 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        mark@putte.seeware.dialix.oz.au (Mark Hannon)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing advice

In message <Dz8LAw.LrF.L.doorway@seeware.DIALix.oz.au> you write:
>Alternatively, I have had defaultroute=10.0.0.5 but then some
>X11 applications take 90 seconds to start (they seem to be
>waiting on some network info).

They are probably trying to resolve your (or some) IP address.  You should
either:

- put whatever name / IP address combination your apps are trying to
  resolve (definitely localhost and your own host as a start) in /etc/hosts;
  your /etc/host.conf already has "hosts" before "bind"
or
- run a local caching name server, so that it can respond to name service
  requests even when the network is down, and point your resolv.conf to
  that server first.

  Bill