Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:36:38 -0400
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Active Directory server on 6-STABLE ?

I'm looking for a good way to provide a single authentication/authorization
database for multiple applications in an environment consisting of a FreeBSD
server and a collection of primarily Windows (XP) clients.  We do NOT want
to use the old Windows Domain protocols; and it doesn't look easy to make
Windows work with anything that isn't a Microsoft work-alike.

Active Directory looks like a good choice; since it should be easy to access
the database from just about any app that supports LDAP authentication.  But
so far, I haven't found an implementation of an AD-compatible server that will
run on FreeBSD.  (This could, in part, reflect my lack of Windows experience...)

It looks like Samba4 is far enough along to provide the necessary functionality;
but it doesn't build and run on FreeBSD; and I don't currently have the time
available to do the porting work.

So, have I completely missed some other solution?  Does someone have Samba4
running on FreeBSD 6-STABLE?  Do any of you have any other useful (on-topic)
advice for me?

Thanks,
-Pat