Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:27:29 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, jbryant@tfs.net, dkelly@HiWAAY.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   F1.17 (was Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?)

> > This is the same government that thought that hiding a fair-weather
> > aircraft for 25 years was a worthwhile investment of the taxpayers
> > money?
>
> Whoa!  Is someone slamming the F117 here?  Fightin' words!
>
> Whatever shortcomings the F117 may have in the frailty of its skin
> coating are more than offset by its ability to go after radar sites
> and down SAM corridors after highly defended targets.

*chuckle*  It's still the only aircraft that's seriously threatened by
a Piper with a big box of dry ice.  8)

> Now the B2, on the other hand - that may indeed be a bomber who's
> primary mission no longer justifies its cost.  Better to do today's
> job with smaller, less expensive units.

The notion that you need a pilot at the controls at all is the
obsolescent concept.  With todays state-of-the-art in semi- and
fully-autonomous RPVs, piloted military aircraft are close to becoming
dinosaurs.

About the only piloted craft I have much respect for is the A10, and
there's isn't even a decent A10 sim around, so I have to make do with
EF2000 and the odd helicopter.  *grumble*

mike