Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:19:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> As far as I know, nobody is taking the source code or the Makefiles
> away, so if somebody doesn't like the system being distributed with
> pkg, they can very well roll their own.

True enough.  But I am also wary of decending into what became of X, where
a build of the xorg metapackage spends 80% of its time running configure,
over and over and over again.  How long until a source build becomes a
series of 'rpmbuild ...' equivalents?  Sadly, if this level of fine
grained packaging infects the base, it *will* only be a matter of time ...

So no matter what the good intentions, this is going to impact everyone,
like it or not.

--lyndon