Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:33:38 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Apr 20, at 06:06 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
> > > 	You should only have to do it once. Just do it for everything that
> > > you care about.
> >
> > OK, this is one thing I'm still unclear about. "Do it once" when? After
> > a new install, and 'sysinstall' is done with it? Once after an upgrade?
> > Once after every upgrade, or just once after a new install?
>
> 	Only one of those actually qualifies as "once."  :)

Um, you mean "after a new install", then? Would I therefore be correct in
inferring that what's is in place from a 4.5-REL[-pN] install (specifically,
/etc/rc.conf [en|dis]abling whatever is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf) will
actually result in the same runtime after an upgrade to 4.6-REL?

> > How does this differ from current (i.e., 4.5-REL) practice? I'm still
> > at a loss as to how what you're prescribing is different from past and
> > present practices, given what [little] I've learned about your change
> > since my first post.
>
> 	I think the problem here is that way more heat than light has been
> thrown up around this change. My suggestion does not differ from what
> people _should_ do after an install (IMO), but the problem is that not
> many people ever get (or choose to follow) that advice.

We-ell, to be fair, I think the heat is due to lack of light... I don't
recall a "Best Practices" coming from you, or anyone, regarding rc.conf.

Worded differently, I certainly don't recall anyone saying /etc/rc.conf
should be an edited-down copy of /etc/defaults/rc.conf that guarantees
what is up and down; not until yesterday, anyway.

What I've seen has always stated that what's in /etc/rc.conf overrides
what's in /etc/defaults/rc.conf; by changing the latter, you certainly
may change someone's actual runtime, and that's one of (the last of,
now) the things that bothers me. You've blown POLA out of the water, and
without blatant warning or notification at the right time, that someone
is gonna get hurt.

Have I missed a reassurance somewhere?
Dave

--