Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:16:12 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proftpd and authentication failure

On 10 Nov 99, at 12:45, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >ProFTPD Version 1.2.0pre8 is giving me authentication problems.  I've
> >been able to get anon ftp running, but if I log in as my regular user id, I
> >get invalid password.
>
> You didn't say what version of FBSD.  It matters.  A lot.

I should not be posting messages after midnight.  FreeBSD 3.1-stable.

> >Here's the output from running with -d5
> >
> >received: USER dan
> >received: USER dan
> >received: PASS (hidden)
> >PAM(dan): Permission denied
> >USER dan: incorrect password
>
> I've just been fighting the proftpd/pam/freebsd battle myself today
> and it is now working.  More interesting than debug output would be
> to know what is in your log file.

proftpd[18252]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_acct_mgmt
proftpd[18253]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_acct_mgmt
proftpd[18300]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_acct_mgmt
proftpd[18300]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_open_session
proftpd[18300]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_close_session
proftpd[18335]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_acct_mgmt
proftpd[18338]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_acct_mgmt
proftpd[18338]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_open_session
proftpd[18338]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_close_session

> >If I add these two lines to /etc/pam.conf
> >
> >ftp auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
> >ftp account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
>
> This is exactly what I have.

[bad example snipped]

> What error?

Hmmm, that's the debug output.  But not enough of it...  See below

received: USER dan
received: USER dan
received: PASS (hidden)
PAM(dan): Permission denied
USER dan: incorrect password from [snipped]
received: QUIT
FTP session closed.

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited