Date:      Mon,  6 May 1996 11:04:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James L Fox <jlfox+@pitt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing with ftp

My recent posting follows:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Can't install via FTP...

In article <3187B95A.498E@rpi.edu>, Jeff  <sackj@rpi.edu> wrote:
> I've been struggling through this installation for a few hours,
> overcoming one problem and then another.  Now I'm stuck on what should be
> the easiest one of all.  When FTPing to another machine to install
> the files, it says something like "Connecting to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX..."
> Then "Logging in..." and nothing happens.  It just says that I can't
> log in.  I've tried anonymous.  I've tried ftp.  I've tried many
> different servers...  I'm baffled.  Please help....

ditto (almost)
You must be getting farther than me 'cause I never see "Connecting..."
I struggled for hours thinking I had DNS problems but when I chose
"Other" and specified the ftp://163......../path method the result was
the same - "Can't ftp to ..."  I know the hardware is OK because I
can reboot to DOS and ftp to FreeBSD.org [to look around for ideas]
any time I wish.  I'm running a Dell pentium with 2 1.2g disks.

The boot.flp & rawrite.exe download went without a hitch followed
by an encouraging session with the bootup/configuration utilities.
It's a bummer to hit that dead silence of a failed ftp connection
after such an encouraging start.  :-(

Can we assume the boot software is recognizing the necessary
hardware [like my ethernet card] when it doesn't complain?

Thanks,
--Jim Fox

My SMC card IS being recognized at bootup from the floppy.

I have a feeling I'm missing something so fundamental to
this process that you don't even put it in the documentation!

Any help would be appreciated.