Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why FFS is THAT slower than EXT2 ?

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:

> Well, guys, listen :-)
>
> I and my friends mentioned that "FreeBSD + ffs" is often slower
> (THAT slower) than "Linux + ext2" for number of tasks:
> rm, find, tar ... for IDE & SCSI disks.
>
> I didn't try things like "FreeBSD + ext2" or "Linux + ffs".
>
> I attached here results of the test I performed. For test I "gunzip"ped
> FreeBSD ports collection, in attachment You can find "scripted" output of
> "# time sh install.sh" for both systems. Also there are "dmesg" outputs.
>
> machine was THE SAME: read "dmesg",
>
> FreeBSD-3.3 + softupdates + "# tunefs -o time" + "flags 0xb0ffb0ff"
>           (kernel was compiled with "-O2")
> Linux - RedHat-6.0 with out_of_box_kernel, just
>        "# hdparm -d 1 -c 3 -m 16 /dev/hda", read "hdparm" output...
>
> even as non-native English speaker I know few other other words which
> begin with "f" :-)
> is "fast" the propriate one for "ffs" ?

I think the sarcasm should be held off until you understand
the underlying system which you obviously do not.

How much ram is in each box?

If the working set fits entirely into RAM linux will perform faster
than FreeBSD because FreeBSD uses a an aggressive write-behind
mechanism whereas linux will wait until it's just about out of
buffers before forcing data to disk.

Work is in progress to make this an adaptive algorithm.

You should note that for the most case when linux runs out
of memory the 'scrambling' it does to recover kills performance
terribly.

You should also note that Linux is completely async, meaning
your files just are not consistant.

Finally, either a question belongs on questions, -or- hackers
not both, please don't cross post.

-Alfred