Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:10:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@forumone.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network config questions

I've got a simple (hopefully) question for you TCP/IP gurus out there.

We have a DSL connection at our office, connected through a Netopia R7100
router.  Our provider initially gave us 13 IPs: 207.197.235.2 - .14 -
let's call this the 235 set. ".1" is the Netopia, and is the default
gateway for this set.

When we ran out of IPs and needed more, out provider gave us another 13,
but on a different subnet.  Apparently, the Netopia can handle running
multiple subnets on its LAN port, and route between them.  So now we also
have 207.197.135.210 - .222. Let's call this the 135 set.  ".209" is also
the Netopia, and is to be used as the gateway for the hosts in the 135
set.

The netmask on all the hosts in the office, both for the 135 and 235 sets,
is set to 255.255.255.240.

Ever since we added the additional IPs, my 3.3-STABLE box
(dipper.forumone.com) started complaining every 10 minutes or so:

Dec  1 13:21:20 dipper /kernel: arplookup 207.197.135.209 failed: host is
not on local network

What, if anything, can I do to stop dipper from complaining?  I assume it
has something to do with netmasks, etc, but I don't know how to set a
netmask for two non-contiguous sets of IP addresses...

One thing that occurred to me is to add a network card to it and assign
that card an address from the 135 set.  Then I can turn on routing between
the interfaces (how is this done?) and get it to stop complaining.  This
will (I believe) have the added benefit of allowing dipper and my Windows
box (both sitting in my office hanging off the same 100 Mbit hub) to talk
to each other without routing through the Netopia (as they appear to be
doing now when I do file transfers between them).

Thanks for any help...

Al