Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:00:20 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Jamie Hermans" <freebsd@hermans.ca>, <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Compaq Smart 2/E Controller Support...

	Not sure if this applies to your EISA card, but I do have a PCI version of
that card in a ProLiant 1500.  It takes a little "jockeying" around to make
the ida driver work, but it does work fine.

	Have you tried installing FreeBSD similarly to the way you would with the
PCI controller?  With my controller before I learned the tricks to make it
work, it would panic at that point as well, because Compaq's ultimate
wisdom, they use the same vector addresses for the SMART 2/x controllers as
the rest of the world uses for a standard IDE controller.

	Try doing an install treating it like the PCI version, and see if that
works.  It's worth a shot, right?  That's my best guess...

--- Andy