Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:40:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried out ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp18.tar.gz
> with a SB16?
> I have not heard too many complaints lately with the SB16 support.
> The problems that I have are related to motherboards not being
> able to find the SB16 PnP and the isa.c mods which right now
> is all smooth out.

Amancio, have you tried to use my pnp stuff recently committed to
-current ? It should save you quite some effor in the support of the
SB16PnP although I believe it might require some minor tweaks for the
guspnp (since it might conflict with what the guspnp module wants to do
on PnP).

> >  |* sounddriver
> >  |  here things are messy: the current driver (3.0) is not well supported;
> >
> >      I sure appreciate your and Amancio's work toward PnP, full duplex,
> > Voxware 3.5, quake sound.  Those features will be real cool when they
> > stabilize and will surely entice more folks over from other OSs.
> >
> >      Having said that though, the current Voxware 3.0 driver works very
> > well for me.  Please, let's not replace it in the tree until we have card
> > support at least as stable in the replacing driver as is in the current
> > driver for all of the previously supported cards.  That hasn't happened
> > yet, for SB16 cards in particular.

With voxware 3.0 I have never been able to make my cards (all PnP)
work. Things might have changed with the recent commit of the pnp code,
however I believe guspnpXX works at least as well as voxware 3.5, and
likely much better, with a larger set of implemented features (e.g.
full duplex and xquake support) and supported cards. So I believe
things are going to improve in 2.2.5 by adopting Amancio's code.

As for my driver, half duplex works very well on most SB and MSS
cards, with no messy configuration options anymore; full duplex
also works on many cards.

So I do believe that also the new driver is more usable than Voxware 3.0
True, it does not support some old cards such as the PAS and MADXX,
but new cards and very popular ones are (or soon will be, if people
continues to give useful feedback as they did in the past weeks) supported.

	Cheers
	Luigi

line