Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:27:42 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Top Consistency

I am running FreeBSD 4.6 and top does not show consistent data (at
least in my understanding).  The cpu states line shows the percent of
time in user state.  I would expect the percent processor used by all
the active processes to add up to something close to that. (single
processor machine).  However, it never seems to come close.  Often it
will show 25% user and the sums of the active processes utilizations
will be around 2%.  Other times it will show 2% user and the sum of the
processes is over 10%.  Is top wacky or is my understanding wrong?