Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:27:34 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <Anthony.B.Jenkins@att.net>
To:        Daniele Mazzotti <kappei84@gmail.com>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI support - Freebsd 10 on Sony Vaio VPCCA3C5E

On 07/10/2014 16:49, Daniele Mazzotti wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> it is been a while since I finished installing Freebsd 10 on my Sony Vaio
> PC and resolving (or at least I am trying to) one by one, all the problems
> this hardware is giving me. Actually I cannot find a solution to correctly
> display the battery level on my laptop. If I unplug my PC from the power
> and type 'sysctl hw.acpi.battery' this is the result I get:
>
> hw.acpi.battery.life: -1
> hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
> hw.acpi.battery.state: 7
> hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
> hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
>
> Moreover the suspend mode is giving me some problems as well, but this has
> definitely a lower priority.
>
> I either tried to search for a solution on the FreeBSD Handook with no
> luck, and google the problem a little bit, but I could not find any
> valuable help. I would be really interested to investigate the problem
> further. Is there anyone who can help me out with this and tell me what
> pieces of information are needed to better understand the problem?
Try enabling the ACPI_BATTERY layer and ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS level in /boot/loader.conf:

        debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_BATTERY"
        debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_ALL_EXCEPTIONS"
        debug.acpi.enable_debug_objects="1"    # I assume this is how you turn on ACPI debugging without recompiling the kernel with 'options ACPI_DEBUG'

and running 'sysctl hw.acpi.battery' again.  Post /var/log/messages ACPI messages about battery here.

Anthony