Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 17:15:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   compress 4.2.4 (pr#bin/146)

Hi...

	Do we want to upgrade this? remove compress (ln to gzip?)?
or just close the PR and sweep it under the carpet?

        Several years ago, just a short while before gzip appeared,
        a much improved version of compress was distributed by the Free
        Software Foundation.  Although this version was distributed
        by the FSF, it is not under the GPL.

        When I say "much improved", I mean that it is more than twice
        as fast.  That makes it enough faster than gzip that in certain
        time-critical applications, like backups, you may be able to
        use compress and not be able to use gzip.

        I realize that the patent situation with compress is not so
        great, but if you're going to ship it at all, you might as well
        ship the best.

        The FSF stopped distributing compress when gzip appeared.  I have
        no idea where the official site for this version is, but you can
        get a copy from

                ftp://ftp.idiom.com/pub/net-sources/ncompress-4.2.4.tar.gz

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org