Date:      13 Mar 2001 08:33:39 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Byron Schlemmer <byron.schlemmer@realtime.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD Writing Woes

David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org> writes:

> What do you think the -m option does? Its not in my burncd manpage.
> Suspect burncd has attempted to read a file named -m, and maybe
> succeded and wrote it at the start of your cd-r.

From the burncd manpage
-m   close disk in multisession mode (otherwise disk is closed
     as singlesession).

> % dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2048 | md5
>
> Also compare the size as reported by dd. I think dd will report how
> much it copied to stderr. If not, do it again with "of=/dev/null".

one thing that we forgot to mention, is that if we use burncd with the
fixate option, at the end of the write (both when using -t to test and
when doing a real write), we get an IO error (something about
IOCLOSECD). If we don't use fixate, we don't get the error, but then
the CD won't mount anywhere either.

Attempting to mount a cd after writing it has caused page faults and
subsequent reboots on all three attempts now.

-Wayne
--
The time for action is passed.           | wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk
Now is the time for sensless             | www.penguinpowered.org.uk