Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:27:11 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What does a parity error look like?

I have a non-FPU NexGen PCI-90 with parity memory and the NexGen MB
supports parity memory. But the last month or so I've had system crashes
under FreeBSD (don't run anything else). And wonder what a parity error
would look like?

What has been happening is when running X, I'd click a button in exmh or
similar in Netscape. Usually something that would cause a bit of disk
activity. But the mouse freezes. And 15 or 20 seconds later the system
reboots. No error messages on the screen. No beeps. No kernel crashdump.
Its as if the system clock had stopped and a watchdog reset the system.

Agressive net surfing in Netscape 3.01 will trigger the problem. Opening a
new window for each link seems to cause this to happen earlier.

Last night I left a "make world" running in single user mode when I went to
bed. Found out this morning via uptime the system rebooted about 2:30AM. So
the problem is probably not due to X.

System is a NexGen Nx586 P90 with PCI. Mach32 video. Adaptec 2940 with BIOS
rev 1.10. An ATAPI CDROM, HD and tape are SCSI. An STB 4-com is on IRQ 12.
An NE2000 clone is at the standard ed0 parameters but only a terminator is
connected to its port. This hardware has run continuously the past 18
months or so without any crashes.

The problem started about the time I cut down from 48M to 32M of memory by
removing two 8M SIMMs.

Am also wondering as I have 64M of swap configured, exactly twice my core.
Have noticed sysinstall never creates a clean multiple size of core for
swap. Should I add a swap file to make it bigger and break this multiple?

Any good suggestions for memory test? It passes with pccheck-lite, which
Amd/NexGen offers.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net