Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 18:55:05 -0700
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'Robert Storey'" <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: shutdown -p now

>=20
> I'm trying to get my computer to shut down and turn the power=20
> off. I'm aware of the command "shutdown -p now". It doesn't=20
> work for me, and after reading the handbook, I conclude that=20
> I must not have ACPI supported hardware. However, with Linux=20
> (and Windows) on this same computer, I can tell the machine=20
> to shut down and turn off the power. In Linux, this requires=20
> that the apm module be loaded - enabling apm in FBSD doesn't=20
> seem to do the trick for me (or do I need to recompile the=20
> kernel for this to work?).
>=20

Yes.

I don't run apm myself yet, but I believe these are the steps

Look for the line in your kernel:

device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20=20

and make it look like this (I think)

device          apm0

Recompile your kernel and add=20

apmd_enable=3D"true"
to /etc/rc.conf

> A bigger problem is that FBSD seems to have disabled the=20
> power button on the front of the computer. In order for me to=20
> turn off the machine, I have to reach behind the computer and=20
> turn off the master switch on the power supply (or else, pull=20
> the power cord out of the wall). I assume that this is done=20
> as a security measure - to prevent evil-minded individuals=20
> from shutting down the server when the system administrator=20
> is on his lunch break. That probably makes sense in a=20
> corporate network setting, but I don't need that level of=20
> security at home. More importantly, when I install FBSD on my=20
> laptop (I have not yet done so), I'm concerned that I won't=20
> be able to shut down the machine at all unless I remove the battery.

What happens when you hold the power button on the front of the machine
for 6 seconds?