Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:35:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sftp from home wireless box to work - get is much faster that put

  [snip]

>> > At home I've wireless, TL-WN851N, using ath(4) driver.

  [snip]

>> > I used sftp(1), which I launch from the home box.
>> > So putting (sending) a file is about 5-17 times faster
>> > than getting (receiving) it.
>> >
>> > What is the reason behind this?

>> Just a thought, Since you are in the uk, do you have ADSL at home? If so
>> the upload on ADSL is much lower than the download.
>
>yes, probably. It's a Virgin broadband. I guess it's ADSL.
>Anyway, that's just what I wanted to hear.
>
>many thanks
>anton

Isn't that the wrong way around?  Put some numbers to it and you'll see.
Pretend a 5Mb download and 1 Mb upload at home.  To a faster-than-you
location, you would download at 5Mb, upload at 1Mb.  NOT the other
way around as the OP mentions.

Now, if your upload was slower, as is mine, a 5 to 1 speed ratio the
other way isn't a stretch at all.

Here's mine (inexpensive 1 Mb/384Kb ADSL at home to 45 Mb symmetric
fiber at work)

sftp> put output.txt
Uploading output.txt to /output.txt
output.txt                                    100%   12MB  38.8KB/s   05:15
sftp> get output.txt output.txt2
Fetching /output.txt to output.txt2
/output.txt                                   100%   12MB 102.7KB/s   01:59
sftp>

38KB/s up, 102 KB/s down. 3 to 1.

Some cable modems do larger asymmetries, like 5 Mb/256 Kb, and that
could give you a ratio like that, but only if the work was on
a connection like that and you were on something more symmetric.

17:1 is a bit hard to fathom.  That's some serious asymmetry on the
work end.