Date:      14 Feb 2003 15:38:42 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Ian Larsen <drblast01@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antialiasing

--=-j8ylH2wjH1wRBGUPyr1s

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 15:31, Ian Larsen wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I'm sorry if you get this question a lot.  I've just installed FreeBSD 5.=
0,
> and I can't get anti-aliasing to work under Gnome2.2, which I initially
> installed with sysinstall.
>=20
> I've added the Load "freetype" and Load "type1" to the XF86Config file, a=
nd
> made sure that was the config file X was using.
>=20
> When that didn't work, I deleted all of the gnome packages and compiled t=
hem
> from ports.
>=20
> While doing that, I also compiled xchat2, and antialiasing works in that
> program.
>=20
> Are there any compile time flags I'm missing?  Is there a GTK/GDK library=
> need to recompile?
> Should antialiasing work by default in the latest Gnome2.2 binary package=
s?

Anti-aliasing works more or less by default in GNOME 2.2.  You no longer
need the GDK_USE_XFT variable.  Things that control anti-aliasing are
Xft, fontconfig, freetype2, and pango.  You should make sure you have
the latest version of all of those ports.  You can disable anti-aliasing
conditionally by tweaking ~/.fonts.conf.  If that file doesn't exist, AA
is controlled with the Font capplet.  By default, standard Best Shapes
AA is used.  If you have a laptop, I recommend subpixel smoothing.

If xchat works, but nothing else, check to see that you do not have
Monochrome selected in your Font capplet, and that all of the above
ports are up-to-date.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks,
> Ian Larsen
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-gnome" in the body of the message
--=20

--=-j8ylH2wjH1wRBGUPyr1s

--=-j8ylH2wjH1wRBGUPyr1s--