Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:03:13 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        Robert Huang <robert@dy-public.sc.cninfo.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About making iso file.

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 05:22:29PM -0800, Nocturne wrote:

> And for crissakes, don't open executable e-mail attachments from strangers!

That deserves repeating.

> (Of course if you don't run Windoze you don't have to worry about it.)

Not so, in general terms. People running unix style systems should also
take great care when an executable or source code is sent to them
attached to email.

The general warning about attachments from strangers is short and to
the point, but also consider attachments from friends a potential risk.
The friend might be unaware that the file is harmful, or even unaware
that he or she is sending an attached file. That's the case when they
send this happy99.exe, for example.

A related warning for FreeBSD users is not to run any command that you
don't fully understand, for example one that is "helpfully" emailed to
you. Use man to check out what each part means first, and if it still
doesn't make sense, treat it as if it's dangerous.

There have been times when I've been given a command in a reply from
freebsd-questions and sat on it for a day or so, waiting for one of the
Great Knowing Ones to jump in with a correction if it was dangerous
because I just wasn't sure. The followups usually clarify what it does
so that it's easy to never break the rule suggested in the paragraph above.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-