Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 07:43:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert L. Bailey" <rlb@cs.umb.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   iBCS2 WP ; slices

Hello,

Has anyone been able to install the SCO version of WordPerfect under
FreeBSD-2.1.0-R?

I have the devices made for spx, socksys, X0R, etc., along with having
IBCS2=YES in my sysconfig file and options "COMPAT_IBCS2" defined in
my kernel.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The errors which I recieved are
two fold. 1st, the install script complains that it cannot open /dev/socksys
because address not found, and the second is that it cannot open DISPLAY :0.0

I think that the error about not being able to open /dev/socksys originates
from not finding the address for DISPLAY.  I have tried seting the
DISPLAY to localhost:0.0 as done so in a linux installation, along with
logging into localhost before starting X, and I have xhost + set.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Bailey

P.S.
In the kernel configuration I had to define:

options "COMPAT_IBCS2"
	and not
options COMPAT_IBCS2

Also the devices which are needed for running SCO bins are not generated
by default.  It might be nice if these devices were created at install time,
since the option to run iBCS2 is in the /etc/sysconfig file -- or atleast
a note concerning the generation of these devices should be added to the
sysconfig file next to the IBCS2=YES option.

In a non-related issue, I have one more question.  I have just changed a
dos partition to a freebsd partition.  I wasn't able to find the docs
regarding how to generate slices.  What I ended up doing was to boot from
the install disks and "re-install" the diskpartition and label section.
This required me to select the FLOPPY media, which of course I did not
put the disks in to so that it wouldn't install over my current system.

I would like to know what the commands were that were executed when I did
this.  Specificaly when the slices were made for this new partition, and
how the new FS was created.  The docs refer to making an entry in a disktab
file and then running newfs, however the install program doesn't use the
disktab file (i think), and the slices were not created by which I could
run the newfs exec on the old dos partition.

Can anyone tell me how do do this manualy?

Thanks again,
Bob Bailey

UMASS/Boston UNIX:  	rlb@cs.umb.edu			IRC Nic: rlb, cons32
UMASS/Boston VAX/VMS:	cons32@umbsky.cc.umb.edu	IRC: 	 #linux