Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 14:07:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        yura@binary.net, Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

> My experience is that none of the removable media systems has the long
> term duty cycle reliability necessary for the system disks.  I haven't
> tried the LS120 yet; but I see nothing in the technology that would
> cause me to expect them to be better suited for this purpose than a Jaz,
> Zip, Syquest, etc. drive.

Magneto-optical.  In my previous job I had spent quite a lot of time
pounding these disks; mostly the 600MB 5.25" variety, but also some of
the larger units.  I would expect that the smaller 3.5" units are
comparable, but I haven't had much exposure to them.

We were using Ricoh and Sony mechanisms close to 10 years old, with
disks as old or older.  They're incredibly robust provided you keep
them clean. Cleaning them isn't too hard either, as long as you do it
properly.