Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2019 17:25:46 +0000
From:      Edward Napierala <trasz@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kib@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 'td' vs sys/fs/nfsserver/

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 14:50, Konstantin Belousov <kib@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 02:25:16PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger via freebsd-fs wrote:

[..]

> > To make it explicit what my intend is with those questions: I suggest to
> > look at real numbers and quality, instead of expectations and feelings.
> Good luck measuring frustration.

We can try to estimate it, though.  Actually removing the 'td' argument
throughout the kernel would not only introduce code churn (which is a
valid concern of course), but it would create one huge merge conflict
(or, if spread over time, a series of  merge conflicts) for literally everyone.
That's a lot of frustration.

On the other hand, I'd expect cleaning up the top of the stack to make it
easy to stop passing the td in newly written code - by making it very clear,
and perhaps assertable, that for a given KPI it's always equal to
curthread - to be more acceptable.  It would also make it possible, in future,
to remove the td in selected places, where it eg causes a stack spill.