Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:37:54 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/posix: a first cut

> From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: Sat 26 Oct, 2002
> Subject: /usr/posix: a first cut

> <<On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:39:35 +0100 (BST), Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk> said:
>
> > It installs versions of expr(1) and sort(1) there, reverts /bin/expr to
> > being BSD-compatible
>
> I object to re-breaking the base expr.

It just so happens the -CURRENT expr(1) breaks a large proportion of the
scripts I've written over the last couple of decades, and I can't be alone.
I'm pretty sure a release of 5.0 with this expr(1) will find a few more...

One of the problems is obviously that I've not kept up with the
incompatibilities introduced by POSIX, and believed the manual pages
all these years.  I was always happy in the erroneous (but practically
true) knowledge that expr(1) didn't take any options.

However, my main justification for reverting it in favour of /usr/posix/expr
is that I haven't seen other vendors make their default expr(1) behave this
way.  Sun certainly haven't, at least as far as Solaris 9 FCS.

The one change I *have* seen to support POSIX.1 is for implementations
to silently discard an initial '--', which at least starts a migration
path; in fact, I'd suggest we might even do this also in the EXPR_COMPAT
case?

The ability to set EXPR_COMPAT to deal with this problem is insufficient
with respect to third party scripts over which the user has little control.

I just find it hard to imagine FreeBSD 5.0 being the first OS release in
my knowledge to break traditional expr(1) use.

If /usr/posix is useful at all, it's useful for exactly this kind of thing;
in fact there's no point having /usr/posix at all if we still break backwards
compatibility due to POSIX!

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses