Date:      25 Dec 2002 03:21:30 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@cirb503493.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 11:33, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 08:14:44AM +0100, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> >CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (800.03-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x678  Stepping = 8
> >  Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
> >real memory  = 266272768 (260032K bytes)
> >So for summary: It is quite perfect for be the FreeBSD router that manage
> >my adsl line and till now I can't find anything that not work as expected
> >(even if I think the cpu could be more fast :-)
>
> What do people expect their firewall/router to be doing?

In a word: encryption.  486's are perfectly capable routers, but fall on
their faces trying to encrypt/decrypt multiple streams.  An 800 MHz is
probably overkill for a residential router/gateway, but we could pretty
much max out a 300 MHz NS/Cyrix processor running 3-4 IPsec VPNs on the
box at the same time.  A hardware encryption engine would most likely be
a better choice than a faster (hotter) general purpose CPU, though.

	-- Wes