Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2014 20:14:59 +0100
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and gaming keyboards (like k95)

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 06:37:44 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> From looking at it... yes, I think that is the one.
> But in order to make it "fully programmable", one
> needs to open it and open the jumper that can be
> easily found. This makes certain keys send an
> individual code instead of a "hardwired" key
> combination: For example, jumper closed && PF13
> will send Shift_L+F1, whereas jumper open && PF13
> will send code 181 instead (which can then be
> associated to any symbol desired).

While I guess this configuration will work fine on my computer at home
(or at work), I'd have to write my own driver for each place. This is
one thing I have always wanted to do but I have never found the right
information on how to actually go about doing it. Now that I have
pretty much given up the notion, I find someone else who could give me
a push in the right direction. Figures...

> The keyboard has a PS/2 mini-DIN plug, but with
> an adapter to USB, it also works nicely.
> Comparable model:
> http://www.twindata.com/affirmative/1221TD.htm

Looks a lot like a Model M terminal keyboard I still have here. I
always thought the terminal keyboard was totally cool because it is so
retro and if you have ever typed on a buckling sping keyboard, you
never want to go back. :-) A few things about this keyboard did
frustrate me though:

- There is no ESC key.
- Most of the extra keys are unusable out of the box (note my comment
  about the driver).
- The arrow keys are in a non-standard layout.

While I could get used to the arrow keys, I am not sure I want to. I
have to type in several places on the keyboards that I am handed there.
This applies mainly to the office and to clients I have to visit.
Ariving at a client's place with a giant Model M terminal keyboard
under my arm would seem extremely nerdy at best and complete dorky at
worst. :-)

The missing ESC-Key is kind of an issue that is hard to resolve unless
I hack the keyboard driver and use an different key for ESC. This is
one key that is hard to do without on UNIX systems. Ask vi, he'll tell
you! :-P

I'm not sure I understood you completely in the other post. However, I
think you meant, that I should remap the specials keys. Is it possible
to actually make macros out of these keys? Meaning: Would FreeBSD let
me map a key to maybe a whole sentence?

Best regards,
Chris