Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:36:19 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   California Labor Law (was Re: The sendmail discussion...)

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> > Matthew Whelan wrote:
> > > (my company demands
> > > that all software I write, including in my own free time, is copyright by
> > > them)
> >
> > You need to move to California, where this is against the law.
>
> Minor correction: You need to move to California, where such
> contractual clauses have been rule unenforceable by the courts (many
> times).

This is getting incredibly off topic for these lists.  Followups
are set to -chat.

You are right, you are not a lawyer.  ;^).

See California Labor Code, Section 2870-2872, inclusive.

	http://are.berkeley.edu/heat/laborcode.html
	http://www.unixguru.com/california_law.html

Such provisions are against the public policy of the state.

-- Terry