Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 12:41:25 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com, peter@netplex.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! config(8) changes..

In old mail, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> wrote:
>In article <19990424190901.D3A791F58@spinner.netplex.com.au>,
>Peter Wemm  <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:
>> So: things like:
>> device sio1 at isa? tty port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
>> become:
>> device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq3
>
>What do you do about the "ppc" device?  Formerly, it needed to be "net
>irq ..." if the "plip" device was going to be used, but "tty irq ..."
>otherwise.  Which one did you pick?

tty was picked (see isa_compat.h).  Also, support for the hack of
setting net_imask = tty_imask if slip is configured went away, so slip
now has the same problems as plip.  I think most of these problems can be
avoided by configuring (kernel) ppp.  ppp sets net_imask >= tty_imask,
which is sufficient provided slip and plip call splimp() as required.
Only cases where the masks change significantly after ppp is initialised
are necessarily broken.

Bruce